the open laboratory: come on in!

January 16, 2007

in Books,Me

The Open Laboratory: The Best Writing on Science Blogs 2006 has just been published at Lulu.com.  You can check out the table of contents and see which of your favorite brilliant science bloggers were included. As I previously noted, yours truly is one of them. The whole back story is at A Blog Around the Clock, and Bora should be heartily congratulated for the great job he did pulling this together.

This project is important in another way. By their nature, good blog posts are relatively brief and tightly written, and often about subjects that are unusual or esoteric, and/or draw on personal experience. These are the types of writings that can really hook people, and print-on-demand technologies such as Lulu make publishing accessible and easy. I think projects like this, especially if even more targeted to specific science topics, have good potential to spark the public interest in science.

Time to get working on next year’s submission!

James January 16, 2007 at 1:44 pm

Hello,

I run a site called BirdwatchingBlog.com and wondered if you would
like to exchange bird watching links? I've already linked to your
site, and if you would like to return the favor, my blog info is:

Title: Birdwatching Blog

Thank you in advance for your consideration. :)

James

MC January 17, 2007 at 3:16 am

My contribution to the book is anything but brief! See pages 196-209!

Barsawad January 17, 2007 at 6:35 am

Thanks for this usefull information.

Nuthatch January 17, 2007 at 6:47 am

Regarding brevity, I was sort of thinking of blog posts in general, not so much this book, as I know there are some longer pieces in there. My two copies are on the way!

MC January 18, 2007 at 2:54 am

I ordered 2 copies as well, and I've just found out from Bora that all contributors will be sent a complimentary copy too.

Ellen January 30, 2007 at 12:41 pm

Am I the only one who finds this book – like blog carnivals – to be vaguely self-congratulatory and incestuous? And why in print (waste of paper) rather than on the net? If blogs exist in part to expose a wide audience to the author's views and expositions, doesn't the fee-based publication, which will surely limit the audience, contravene that purpose?